We see our supply chain as much more than just sub-contractors and suppliers. Our performance depends directly on them. So we make huge efforts to choose the right companies, and to maintain and improve our relationships with them over the long term.
We categorise our sub-contractors, from those who’ve just started working with us right through to ‘Category one’: companies that achieve the highest standards while always looking for continuous improvement.
A culture of partnership
For us, it’s all about focusing on shared goals…
- To deliver exceptional, innovative and sustainable solutions to our clients, through the whole lifecycle of their projects
- To develop relationships with our supply chain that benefit us, benefit them and – most importantly – deliver great results for our clients
- To manage down inefficiencies and risks – together – by using innovative solutions, sharing experiences and ideas, making health and safety our number one priority, and focusing on sustainability
- To act fairly and treat others with respect and to act in a socially responsible manner, for example, by following BAM’s responsible sourcing and business ethics policies and joining with BAM to guard against modern slavery
- To make sure that everyone who works with us complies with relevant legislation, company and client policies.
Investing in our supply chain
Because our sub-contractors are so important when it comes to delivering to our clients, we actively invest in our relationships with them. For example:
- Each BAM region has its own Supply Chain Manager and holds annual supply chain awards
- We’re working with our sub-contractors to set new standards at project level
- We’re actively involved in the Supply Chain Sustainability School, an online learning resource designed to help the construction sector improve its knowledge of sustainability…
Working with SMEs and local businesses
BAM is committed to a local supply chain wherever possible. Working with local companies brings a range of benefits: local knowledge, local people, support for the local economy and a smaller carbon footprint. It also helps BAM support our targets in relation to sustainable and local procurement. Over 80% of our sub-contractors are Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and are key to our success.
Three unwavering commitments: what we expect from our contractors
Health and safety:
BAM needs a supply chain who share our vision of Zero Harm, and will work alongside us to achieve it. Provision of the right information, tools and equipment to skilled and experienced site teams is essential for success. Working together we will create a feeling of certainty that nobody will be harmed while working on a BAM project.
We have to set high standards, to help reduce the environmental impact of our projects, improve local communities and ultimately deliver better quality services to our customers. Responsible sourcing is about going beyond our duty of care to make a positive impact.
Group Director Sustainability, Royal BAM Group nv
When it comes to our supply chain, we only work with people that share our values of being trustworthy, reliable, considerate and creative. But most importantly, we work with them collaboratively: sharing challenges, ideas and successes.
Director of HR
Applying to be part of our supply chain
Sub-contractors: We have been working with most of our sub-contractors for many years. Where there are opportunities to become part of our supply chain ecosystem, there is a rigorous process we go through before you can start working with us. We make no apologies for that.
BAM operates various standards. You can find details here. We are also a member of the Build UK and we fully support the standards they set.
We need evidence that you comply with all these standards before you can work with us. If you meet these criteria, you’ll need to apply to become a registered sub-contractor, using the form below.
Our supply chain team reviews all the applications we receive. We will only contact you if we are genuinely interested in what you offer.
Materials’ suppliers: If you are a company specialising in the supply of materials to site and wish to be added to our national database, please contact one of our regional buying teams.
Fill in the form to apply be part of our supply chain.