A new lease of life for Victorian industrial architecture
In 2008, we started refurbishment and construction works of the Eastern Goods Yard. Built in 1852, the Goods Yard complex is comprised of the Granary Building, the Train Assembly Shed, and the Eastern and Western Transit Sheds (ETS, WTS). The buildings were used to transfer freight from or to the rail carts. The West Handyside Canopy was built in 1888 to provide shelter for off-loading goods.
The site’s rich industrial history was a challenge, requiring a close working relationship with local authorities, English Heritage and an on-site team of archaeologists. We restored and converted these Grade II listed Granary Building and ETS into the University of the Arts London (UAL) and the WTS became offices and mezzanine shops. We also restored the West Handyside Canopy.